Wednesday 26 October 2011

Busy Doing Nothing Much

This week is our half-term break.  And – sorry to those of you slaving away at work this week – I’m having a great time, busily doing nothing much!

My parents flew over from the UK last Thursday, with my long-awaited latest issues of ‘Making’ and ‘Mollie Makes’.  So, I’ve been trying to steal a few quiet moments to have a little read (or at least a quick look at all the lovely photos).  Of course, I’ve spotted MORE projects to add to my ‘to do’ list, and more things I “NEED” – that will be added to the bottom of my (very long) letter to Santa!  I told you in my last post - these magazines are NOT purse-friendly!

As I’ve got my mom here with me for the week, we’ve (of course) managed to fit in a few shopping trips!  Well, it would be rude not to, wouldn’t it???  We were meandering around a department store (‘Karstadt’) the other day, and I just happened to stumble upon their haberdashery department – SURPRISE!!!  I got some bargain yarn, for €1.50 for 50g.  I bought 6 different colours, as there were so many gorgeous colours to choose from – and it was sooooo lovely and soft!  Here are 4 of the colours – you can see the other 2 later on in the post. 


Today, I sneakily bought my first few Christmas decorations of 2011 (I’m sure there will be plenty more to come over the next few weeks).  I got them from a beautiful shop called ‘Home and Garden’.


I also bought these toadstools from the same shop.  Aren’t they cute?!?


Oh, and one more purchase I wanted to share with you – these cute and colourful mugs (from ‘Buttlers’):



While I have my mom here to supervise/sort out my mess-ups, I thought I’d start knitting a hat I’ve had my eyes on for some time.  I’m using two colours of the soft, soft yarn I bought from Karstadt – a really bright red and a greyish-taupe colour.  I’m going as quickly as I can with it, as I want my mom to show me how to sew up the seams before she goes home.  Don't laugh at me, all you pro-knitters!  Here's the hat so far:


I know this is really silly, but I think that one of the reasons I’m enjoying this project so much is the fact that the yarn colours match so well with the colours on my needles!  AND they also look pretty with my bright blue stitch counter. 


AND, the WHOLE THING looks great with my knitting bag!!!  Haha!!!  ;-)


What else have I been up to this week???  Hmmm.....  We've been eating out a fair bit, we've been to the zoo, we've been to an ice-hockey match (Duesseldorf won - yippeeeee), and we've been to visit my sister in Cologne.  We've also been working on our Halloween costumes.....  But that's a whole different blog post.....  

See you all soon.....

Carly

x

9 comments:

  1. I've recently discovered "Mollie Makes," soooo cute! I was so surprised to find it at Jo-Anns. I only wish it didn't cost 12 dollars here! But it's pure eye candy! Those mugs are adorable, and I'm totally in love with your hat colors!!!! Can't wait to see it finished, and can't wait to hear about your Halloween costumes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate,
    12 dollars!?! That's a LOT!!! Still, at least you can get it if you NEED it! ;-)
    Glad you like the mugs - I had my first cup of tea from one of them yesterday and (of course) it tasted especially good!!!
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jooles,
    Thanks for the message! Yes, it's been a lovely week - and my mom has got me out of SOOOOOO many knitting pickles!!! When she leaves on Sunday, I'm going to have to find me a live-in-knitting-fixer!!!
    The hat's almost done now - fingers crossed it will look okay.....
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sound like a super busy, super fun week! I love the toadstools and I love those colorful mugs. Learning to knit is on my 2012 list. I love seeing a bit of beginner knitter inspiration. Thank you for the bloggy birthday wishes last week. It was so nice to hear from so many of you. Wish I could have shared a cupcake with all you girls. Happy Saturday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sara,
    It WAS a fun (and very productive) week! Glad you like my latest buys!
    I'll be posting some photos of my finished hat later on this week. It looks okay for my first ever FINISHED knitting project. You should definitely have a go at learning to knit! Crochet is next on my list of things I want to learn to do!!!
    Hope you had a super birthday, by the way!
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey Carly - nice to meet you! I must thank cuckoo (again) for sending so many lovely new pals over my way.
    So, I don't need to read many words to know your blog will be right up my street...buttons, fabric, vintage, knitting (laugh...? I'm envious, as can't yet knit)pretty mugs and to di for toadstools!
    off to add you to my sidebar,
    fee x
    ps my OH has been speaking at the COBIS conference all weekend in Madrid so we've just had a long conversation about international teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the lovely comments, Fee! :-)
    Until next time.....
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those mugs! Milk, no sugar for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rachael,
    Glad you like the mugs!
    Tea's just brewing.....
    ;-)
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit, and for taking the time to leave me a comment. It's always a pleasure to hear from readers, and it really makes my day!

Carly

x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...